Mark W. Hilton Partner
Mark Hilton has approximately 25 years of broad legal experience in an expanding solicitor’s practice. In addition, Mark has a strong business and finance background with experience in debt finance, capital markets
and secured lending. He joined Bernard LLP in 2002 from Campney & Murphy, where he was a partner in its private business and real estate group. Before law, Mark worked with RBC Dominion Securities in institutional money markets.
Mark’s experience includes business transactions involving joint ventures, partnerships, share and asset acquisitions, corporate reorganizations, finance and related commercial and industrial real estate matters in a broad range of Canadian industries, including marine underwriting, building products, services businesses and practice partnerships in engineering, architecture and other professions. Commercial transactions include secured lending in marine, transportation and waterfront industries, industrial leasing for waterfront tenants, structural, transactional and advisory work in international shipping and related tax matters, vessel sales and purchases and related agreements.
Acting for the Tiger Group of companies, including with regard to founding interests in Seaspan Corporation (SSW NYSE), the founding of the SeaTiger Capital JV, the founding and expansion of Greathorse Shipping and management and participation in GCI, the Carlyle-Tiger-Washington family JV, to invest in shipping assets.
Purchase of Canadian Transport Company Limited (CTCO), Barbados, acquired by Northern Navigation and its subsequent sale to Gearbulk.
Purchase by Smit of Rotterdam of the Rivtow group of tug and barge companies, including Investment Canada Act (foreign investor) applications and approvals and Competition Act matters.
Corporate development transactions for the Tiger Group, The Futura Corporation and CanWel.
Sale of ICS Petroleum to Aegean Marine Petroleum.
Professional and Other Affiliations
- Called to the Bar of British Columbia, 1989
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Canadian Maritime Law Association, Member
- Royal Vancouver Yacht Club
- The Albany Club
- Phi Gamma Delta
- Board of Directors, 2012-2015, Private Career Training Institutions Agency (PCTIA) of BC
- Vice-President and Director, 2000 – 2010, Greater Vancouver Food Bank Society, a leading Vancouver-based community-supported charitable organization.
- Former Treasurer, Executive Committee Member and Director, University of British Columbia Alumni Association.
- Former Industry Fundraising Chairman for Corporate Donations and Employee Campaign Chairman, The United Way of the Lower Mainland.
Author and Speaker
Guest Instructor, Business Purchase and Real Estate Transactions, Professional Legal Training Courses (Annual Bar Admissions Courses, Professional Legal Training Courses), Law Society of British Columbia.