Megan Nicholls Associate
After earning both a Canadian and American J.D. from the cross-border law program at the University of Windsor and the University of Detroit, Megan summered at a national law firm in Toronto, Ontario. Megan completed her articles of clerkship at the Ontario Superior Court of Justice before being called to the Ontario Bar in 2012. She then practiced at a respected Hamilton, Ontario law firm, where she focused on commercial litigation and insurance defence work. Megan moved to Vancouver and was called to the B.C. Bar in January 2014.
Megan currently represents clients on a broad range of civil litigation matters, while working closely with senior members of the firm. Megan has appeared at the Provincial Court of Ontario, the Superior Court of Ontario, and the Supreme Court of British Columbia.
Zajaczkowski v. Grauer et al, 2014 BCSC 711 In this British Columbia Supreme Court case, decided on April 25, 2014, the Plaintiff sought damages for personal injury arising from a motor vehicle accident. The Plaintiff claimed damages in the amount of $1.2 million to $4.4 million dollars, with a large portion being claimed for past and future income loss. Megan assisted senior counsel, Tom Hawkins, in this case, which was done on a short fuse basis. After hearing evidence over two weeks of trial and two days of argument, Justice Macintosh awarded the Plaintiff a total of $53,000, with nothing being awarded for past or future income loss or loss of earning capacity. Credibility was a key issue brought out through defence counsel’s cross-examination.
Professional and Other Affiliations
- Called to the Bar of British Columbia, 2014
- Called to the Bar of Ontario, 2012
- Law Society of British Columbia, member
- Canadian Bar Association (B.C. Branch), Maritime Law Section, Member
- Canadian Bar Association (B.C. Branch), Insurance Law Section, Member
- Canadian Defence Lawyers, Member
- Women’s International Shipping and Trading Association (WISTA), Member
Author and Speaker
- The Duty to Honour: Gitxaala Nation v. Canada (BC Shipping News, May 2017)
Megan enjoys cycling and skiing, and is learning to golf and sail.