Ryan Bernard Associate
Ryan obtained his Juris Doctor from the Schulich School of Law at Dalhousie University. Prior to law school, he obtained a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of British Columbia. At Dalhousie, Ryan was the recipient of the Elkanah Rafuse Prize in Admiralty Law for the highest standing in Maritime Law and Practice. He also received the Jim Davey Award from the Canadian Transportation Research Foundation Student Paper Competition, for his paper entitled “Autonomous Shipping and Seaworthiness: How Emerging Technologies Will Affect the Carriage of Goods By Sea”.
Ryan articled with Bernard LLP and joined the firm as an associate in June of 2019. He primarily practices in the firm’s litigation group with a focus on maritime, environmental and insurance defence matters.
Professional and Other Affiliations
- Called to the Bar of British Columbia, June 2019
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Canadian Bar Association (B.C.) Branch, Maritime Law Section Member
- Canadian Bar Association (B.C.) Branch, Insurance Law Section Member
- Canadian Maritime Law Association, Member
- Canadian Board of Marine Underwriters, Associate Member
Ryan is an avid CFL fan and enjoys all of the outdoor activities Vancouver has to offer, including skiing, golf and hiking the North Shore mountains.