Lorna A. Pawluk Associate Counsel
Lorna’s practice focuses exclusively on occupational health and safety and workplace safety matters for employers. This includes any matter arising from compliance with provincial and federal occupational health and safety legislation, including regulatory, employment and human rights matters. Lorna is a member of the Board of Directors of the College of Massage Therapists of BC and Chair, Inquiry Committee; Chair, National Administrative Law Section of the Canadian Bar Association; and Vice Chair, Liberal Women’s Network, British Columbia Liberal Party. Lorna is also on the Board of Directors of the Employers’ Forum, a non-profit organization representing employers in matters relating to the British Columbia workers’ compensation system.
Lorna, as chair of the Inquiry Committee of CMTBC, chairs panels under section 35 of the Health Professions Act and meetings of the Inquiry Committee which is charged with investigations under the Health Professions Act and Massage Therapists Regulation. She also investigates harassment and bullying complaints for private clients and has been an adjudicator with the Employment Standards Tribunal and Appeal Division of WorkSafeBC. She has also been legal counsel to the Commissioner of the Industrial Relations Council and has been in private practice where she practiced employer side labour/employment law. She is also past chair of the Administrative Law Section (Vancouver) of the Canadian Bar Association in BC and a past columnist in Canadian Occupational Safety magazine. Lorna frequently speaks to large groups about occupational health and safety and related issues.
- Review Division, WCB, Review Reference #: R0141417, R0141421 & R0156201 – traffic control orders – traffic control person – administrative penalty removed – expert evidence.
- Workers Compensation Appeal Tribunal WCAT 2013-02719 – excavation orders – not high risk – expert evidence – overall effective health and safety program – penalty not justified.
Professional and Other Affiliations
- Called to the Bar of British Columbia
- Called to the Bar of Alberta
- Canadian Bar Association
- Liberal Women’s Network, Vice-Chair, 2013-ongoing
- National Administrative Law Section, Canadian Bar Association, Section Chair, September 2013-August 2014.
- National Administrative Law Conference Committee, Canadian Bar Association, Organizing Committee, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011; Conference Chair, 2013.
- Member, Board of Directors, College of Massage Therapists of BC and Chair, Inquiry Committee
- Member, Board of Directors, Employers Forum
Author and Speaker
- Co-Chair, National Administrative and Labour & Employment Law Conference, Ottawa, November 29-30, 2013.
- Speaker, “Coordinating Contractor Safety”, British Columbia Municipal Safety Association, Victoria, October 21-22, 2013.
- Speaker, "Investigating Harassment & Bullying Complaints", Conference, Infonex, Vancouver, April 10, 2013.
- Moderator, Canadian Bar Association, Administrative and Labour & Employment Law Conference, "Specialized Expert Evidence", Ottawa, November 23-24, 2012.
- Moderator, Canadian Bar Association, Administrative and Labour & Employment Law Conference, "Straight from the Horse’s Mouth: Public Inquiries," Ottawa, November 27, 2010.
- Moderator, Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers, "Prosecuting OH&S Offences," Vancouver Conference, September 23, 2010.
- Speaker and Author, Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers, "OH&S Responsibilities of Directors and Officers," Vancouver Conference, September 23, 2010.
- Speaker, Lorman Educational Services, Occupational Health and Safety—Employer obligations, April 15, 2010
- Moderator, Canadian Bar Association, National Administrative Law Conference, "Suing the Government," Ottawa, November 20, 2009.
- Speaker, Ontario Hospital Association, "Pandemic Planning," A Business Continuity Conference, Vancouver, June 25, 2008.
- Speaker, Human Resources Management Association, Annual Conference, October 2, 2007, "Drug and Alcohol Testing in the workplace".
- Speaker, Continuing Legal Education Conference, Labour and Employment Conference", "Workplace Fatalities and Injuries", May 31, 2007.
- Columnist, Canadian Occupational Safety: Column devoted to workers compensation and workplace safety issues. December 2005 – June 2007.
- Speaker, Continuing Legal Education Conference, Workers’ Compensation—2006 Update, "Solicitor-Client Privilege in the Investigations Process".
- Author, "Director Liability", Business in Vancouver, March, 2003.
- Speaker, Continuing Legal Education Conference "Workers Compensation Update, "Commentary on WCAT", March 31 – April 1, 2003.
- Speaker, Canadian Society of Safety Engineers, "Update on Workers Compensation", November 26, 2002.
- Speaker, Human Resources Management Association, "The WCB Core Report", Vancouver - June 12 and 18, 2002; Victoria - June 19, 2002
- Speaker, University of British Columbia, Conferences, "Whole Body Vibration: Legal Aspects", April 4, 2001.
- Author, "Freedom of Association and Labour Law", The Advocate, Nov. 1991.
- Past Vice-Chair, Canadian Bar Association, Constitutional Law Section, Vancouver.
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, Labour Section, Alternate Dispute Resolution Section British Columbia Branch.
- Speaker, Industrial Relations Management Association, Fall Conference, 1988, October 16 – 18, 1988: "Variable Compensation", Vancouver.
Boating, music and cooking.